>

Travelling from England to watch Eintracht v Hertha

#
Hi everyone, Newcastle United fan here and there's 2 of us coming to Germany this weekend to watch Eintracht's final game of the season. I wasn't able to attend the Eintracht v Newcastle match in the UEFA Cup (couldn't get the time off work) but some of my friends went to Frankfurt for the game and never shut up about how nice the Waldstadion is (apparently I can't call it by its other name!) and how friendly and noisy the Eintracht fans were, so now the football season is finished in England I thought I would experience it for myself.

Basically I'm just after a bit of advice from any fans on here. Things I would like to know are how far is the stadium from the city centre and what is the best way to get there?

Where are the best pubs to drink in before the match? (this is very important   )

We will arrive in Frankfurt on Friday afternoon and we are staying for 3 nights so where are the best places to drink on Friday, Saturday & Sunday nights? (also very important   )

Our tickets are in block 31M. Are these good seats for view/atmosphere?

Any other hints & tips greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
#
HI Mate

I just moved over to work 4 weeks ago. I have a ticket for Saturdays game as well but my mate arrives for the weekend without a ticket so might just watch the FA Cup final instead and have a pub crawl. The stadium is quality, easy to get to by S Bahn from the main train station (15mins??) - just follow the crowds. I have been to a home and away game and the fans certainly make plenty noise. There will be plenty people near the train station to help you get there.

One good thing is that there are loads of stalls selling food and drink out at the stadium so you can go out early for a beer and meet some fans.

Having looked around most places, Sachsenhausen is my idea of a good place, lots of bars in close proximity and only about 10minutes on foot from the city centre. There are also plenty in the city centre itself and also up in Bornheim. Others on here would be better to tell you specific names.

O'Reillys at the main station is OK if you want to see live games from UK but not everyone wants to go overseas and drink in an irish bar!

Have a good weekend  
#
NUFC1978 schrieb:
Hi everyone, Newcastle United fan here and there's 2 of us coming to Germany this weekend to watch Eintracht's final game of the season. I wasn't able to attend the Eintracht v Newcastle match in the UEFA Cup (couldn't get the time off work) but some of my friends went to Frankfurt for the game and never shut up about how nice the Waldstadion is (apparently I can't call it by its other name!) and how friendly and noisy the Eintracht fans were, so now the football season is finished in England I thought I would experience it for myself.

Welcome to Frankfurt!
NUFC1978 schrieb:

Basically I'm just after a bit of advice from any fans on here. Things I would like to know are how far is the stadium from the city centre and what is the best way to get there?
About 15 minutes from the main station - just follwo the crowds (krauts).
NUFC1978 schrieb:

Where are the best pubs to drink in before the match? (this is very important   )

Just go to the food an beer stall 'Wachs Futterkrippe' at the 'Gleisdreieck'!

NUFC1978 schrieb:

Our tickets are in block 31M. Are these good seats for view/atmosphere?

Any other hints & tips greatly appreciated.

Just wear black and whithe colors. One of our favorite songs is 'Schwarz Weiß wie Schnee ...' (Black, white like snow ...)  ,-)

NUFC1978 schrieb:

Thanks in advance.
#
@ NUFC1978:

The Tickets for block 31M are ok. I hope you enjoy the game and our noise.

Have fun!

#
I agree with him totally.
O'reilly's is easy to find and from there on you can quite easlily get everywhere else. And it's always loads of fun, too.
In Sachsenhausen there is the anglo saxon's as well.. there you should definitly go out!! You'll enjoy it! No doubt!

Here's one for you:
What do you think of Allardyce as your teams manager??
#
NUFC1978 schrieb:
how nice the Waldstadion is (apparently I can't call it by its other name!)

Very good!  
#
Thanks for the replies everyone. I'll make sure I check out all the places that have been mentioned. Really looking forward to the match even though there's nothing really at stake but it will be the first Bundesliga match I have ever watched so it should be a good experience. Who knows,it could be the first of many  ,-)

About Sam Allardyce, well i'm quite happy with the appointment and he certainly came over well in the press conference and I think most Newcastle fans are happy with him. A lot of supporters think Newcastle should have a Foreign coach and when Greame Souness was sacked last year there was an internet campaign to get Ottmar Hitzfeld but since the Newcastle chairman prefers an English manager I think Allardyce is probably about the best we could have got.
#
Hi....if you would like to have more contact to the supporters of eintracht, look at www.bembelbar.de, after the game there is a party at the fan-house luisa, which is locatet at the station luisa.
#
So now tell us!! What do you think?? How was it??

We're all nosy!!
#
aspen schrieb:

We're all nosy!!

Absolutely amazing!!!

Just got back home an hour ago (we stayed in Frankfurt for 3 nights, Friday, Saturday & Sunday) and I was just totally overwhelmed by how good the stadium was but even more so with the Eintracht fans. I even seen a few half Newcastle/Eintracht scarves which was a nice touch.

I have watched football in all the top English stadiums as well as Rangers, Celtic, AC Milan, Roma, Marseille, Barcelona. Ajax, PSV & Feyenoord but nothing, and I mean nothing comes close to the atmosphere I witnessed in the Waldstadion on Saturday. To be honest I hardly seen the first half as I was too pre occupied with watching the crowd and just trying to get used to the noise that was being generated by everyone, especially the fans stood behind the goal.

Another thing I liked was how well both sets of fans mixed. In our row we had 4 Hertha fans, all dressed in their Hertha shirts but the Eintracht fans were really friendly towards them, even when they celebrated their winning goal at the end. There's not many places where I think that could happen although I don't know whether it would have been the same if it had been a more important match.

My overall opinion is that you have a world class stadium, although it seemed a bit strange walking through a forest to get there    but most importantly Eintracht Frankfurt must have the best supporters in world football and I really do mean that.

On the pitch the team played quite well but seemed to lack someone to make the most of all the chances created and the number 8, Streit??? who scored the free kick seems like a really good player.

Hopefully players will be brought in and the Eintracht fans will one day get the team you deserve. You really have got an incredible support and I would love to be in Frankfurt on the day you actually win something - that would be some party.

One thing's for sure, i'll make sure I make another visit next season and after I tell people about how great it was i've got a feeling there may well be a few more people from over here coming to check it out for themselves.

Best wishes for next season.
#
NUFC1978 schrieb:

On the pitch the team played quite well but seemed to lack someone to make the most of all the chances created and the number 8, Streit??? who scored the free kick seems like a really good player.

Maybe he is the best player in our team - but he seems to be a very bad character.
During the second half of the season, he often plays without commitment. For three games our coach Friedhelm Funkel suspended Streit, because it seems so, that Streit doesn't want to fight for keeping Eintracht Frankfurt in the Bundesliga (Streit signed last summer until 2009; but if we go down to the second league; it will be possible for him to change the club without any transfer fee (but with a lot of signing fee for Streit and his player manager Klaus Gerster ("Der schwarze Abt" /// "The black abbot").
Our chairman Heribert Bruchhagen (very good man!) was forced to promise Streit, that he can change the club, if he will make an effort in the last four games - so he starts to play as good as before - and now he wants to leave Frankfurt. Directly after the game, he proclaims, that he has come to an agreement with FC Schalke 06* - but actually, Eintracht Frankfurt has not given his consent to this transfer...
In my opinion, we don't need players like Streit, who are only seeking their own advantage - routhlessness to the negative consequences for the team spirit. Also if they are one of the best players in the team - because a good team spirit is much more important than any single player.

But nice to hear, that your visit at Waldstadion was worth seeing - and sorry for my bad English.  

*That is common language usage among Eintracht-Supporters - two years ago, we defeat them in the national cup with 6:0 - a brilliant match! Perhaps the best Eintracht-match i've ever seen (but being careful - i'm only 22 old - there will be a lot of better matches in the great history of Eintracht Frankfurt.   ).
#
a.saftsack schrieb:
NUFC1978 schrieb:
how nice the Waldstadion is (apparently I can't call it by its other name!)

Very good!  

Yes that´s good
#
NUFC1978 schrieb:
aspen schrieb:

We're all nosy!!

Absolutely amazing!!!

Just got back home an hour ago (we stayed in Frankfurt for 3 nights, Friday, Saturday & Sunday) and I was just totally overwhelmed by how good the stadium was but even more so with the Eintracht fans. I even seen a few half Newcastle/Eintracht scarves which was a nice touch.

I have watched football in all the top English stadiums as well as Rangers, Celtic, AC Milan, Roma, Marseille, Barcelona. Ajax, PSV & Feyenoord but nothing, and I mean nothing comes close to the atmosphere I witnessed in the Waldstadion on Saturday. To be honest I hardly seen the first half as I was too pre occupied with watching the crowd and just trying to get used to the noise that was being generated by everyone, especially the fans stood behind the goal.

Another thing I liked was how well both sets of fans mixed. In our row we had 4 Hertha fans, all dressed in their Hertha shirts but the Eintracht fans were really friendly towards them, even when they celebrated their winning goal at the end. There's not many places where I think that could happen although I don't know whether it would have been the same if it had been a more important match.

My overall opinion is that you have a world class stadium, although it seemed a bit strange walking through a forest to get there    but most importantly Eintracht Frankfurt must have the best supporters in world football and I really do mean that.

Hopefully players will be brought in and the Eintracht fans will one day get the team you deserve. You really have got an incredible support and I would love to be in Frankfurt on the day you actually win something - that would be some party.

One thing's for sure, i'll make sure I make another visit next season and after I tell people about how great it was i've got a feeling there may well be a few more people from over here coming to check it out for themselves.

Best wishes for next season.

thx for this very kindly impression of your journey to frankfurt and i think it will be a pleasure for us in frankfurt to meet u and other newcastle supporters once again.
#
Well there's a very good chance of that happening because I will definately be back to watch Eintracht at the Waldstadion next season.

The matchday experience and atmosphere was just so much better than in England and I really have to do it again, maybe more than once next season and it would be nice to meet up with some Eintracht fans.

One final question that I need to ask which puzzled me - Why do lots of the fans hang their banners upside down?  
#
Most of the banners are hanging upside down because of a very serious and unjust incident which happened before matchday 1 of the Bundesliga. About 50 Eintracht Fans were travelling to the match vs. Schalke 04 to Gelsenkirchen by Coach. The incident happened at a roadhouse: A smaller group of "fans" didn't behave correctly and destroyed some chairs or something - we don't really know. Most of the fans remained sitting in the coach but: They also got prohibited to enter any stadium in Germany for the next 5 years! The German police treated them like those who really demolished the roadhouse!
To our mind that's not acceptable! Thus the reason for the banners hanging upside down is showing our protest against unjustified bans on entering a stadium. It's some kind of consolidation for the fans who must stay out. It shows them that we are still thinking of them and fighting for their rights.
#
NUFC1978 schrieb:
Well there's a very good chance of that happening because I will definately be back to watch Eintracht at the Waldstadion next season.

The matchday experience and atmosphere was just so much better than in England and I really have to do it again, maybe more than once next season and it would be nice to meet up with some Eintracht fans.

One final question that I need to ask which puzzled me - Why do lots of the fans hang their banners upside down?  
#
Sorry about the double post, still getting the hang of this forum and clicked the wrong button. That's a very good way of protesting - we certainly noticed and it's great that the fans are sticking together on this.
#
Hi NUFC1978,

good to hear that you enjoyed your trip. I have to confess that it makes me very proud to read your positive feedback.  You're always welcome in Frankfurt, make sure to drop me a line before your next  trip, then you can meet some locals before/after the game and join us for some nice boozing in Old Sachsenhausen.

I always wanted to see a Newcastle match, so be prepared to see some Eintracht guys at St. James Park next season!! First round is on me.

Cheers,

Bastian
#
SGE_77 schrieb:
Hi NUFC1978,

good to hear that you enjoyed your trip. I have to confess that it makes me very proud to read your positive feedback.  You're always welcome in Frankfurt, make sure to drop me a line before your next  trip, then you can meet some locals before/after the game and join us for some nice boozing in Old Sachsenhausen.

I always wanted to see a Newcastle match, so be prepared to see some Eintracht guys at St. James Park next season!! First round is on me.

Cheers,

Bastian

Cheers mate. I'll make sure I let you know before I make my next visit to Frankfurt and you can show me the best bars to visit after the match  

If you ever manage to come to Newcastle make sure you let me know in advance and i'll show you the best bars to drink in over here, and believe me, there's a lot of them  

Maybe we'll meet up next season.  ,-)
#
Hi NUFC1978

Thanks for sharing your impressions. I really enjoyed reading your trip report.  

Greets Tobi

Teilen